Sunday, 2 April 2017

Popular Wrexham councillor stands down due to ill-health

Plaid Cymru's Smithfield candidate Paul Williams (left) with outgoing councillor Keith Gregory.

Smithfield rep passes on the baton to local activist

Ill-health has forced popular Smithfield councillor Keith Gregory to stand down after serving the community for nine years.

Cllr Gregory, of Colwyn Road, made his decision to stand down at this election after a serious and long-standing illness last year, from which he is still recovering.

Cllr Gregory said:
"It's been a difficult decision to take but my illness has taken its toll and I have been advised to concentrate on getting better. The pressure of council work would mean I wouldn't be doing justice to local residents so I've decided to call it a day on the county council.

"However I will be standing again for Caia Park community council and I'm very pleased to be handing on the torch to my fellow Plaid Cymru community councillor Paul Williams. He has my full backing and I'm sure, as a local resident, he will continue to stand up for the community of Smithfield."
Paul Williams, a former Sharp employee, is a community councillor and has lived in Bernard Road with his family for 22 years.

Cllr Williams said: 
"Keith will be a tough act to follow as he's given 100% to representing Smithfield and dealing with problems facing residents. I'm grateful for his support and determined to do my best for my community. 
Smithfield strongly supported our petition to keep the town's fire engine and I was pleased at the reception we received on the doorstep for that. 
"Like other parts of Wrexham, we see the need for a better council that's more answerable and open. I'm sure I'll be calling on Keith's support over the coming weeks as we aim to win Smithfield for Plaid Cymru as part of a strong group of new councillors."
Plaid Cymru's Wrexham chairperson Marc Jones said: 
"Keith has been a great councillor for Smithfield and worked tirelessly to raise awareness about the drug issue for years. We all wish him well as he continues to recover from major surgery and I'm very pleased he will continue as a community councillor. "Stepping into his shoes as Plaid Cymru's candidate in the area will be Paul Williams, a local community councillor who knows the area like the back of his hand. Paul will be a very able replacement for Keith if he's elected on May 4th."

No comments: